KENNEDY PAVER MA (Oxon), PgDip (Kent), MCIL, MITI, CL
Solihull, West Midlands, UK
Tel.: +44 (0)121 706 0131 Mobile: +44 (0)7764 939145
A highly specialized provider of translation, interpreting, writing, training and consultancy services to customers in the nuclear, utilities and technology sectors, with extensive on-site experience. (Translation from French, German and Dutch into English. Interpreting between French and English. Copywriting in English. Training delivered in English and French.)
1991 – present: Freelance Linguist/Copywriter/Trainer
- Translation of technical documentation for major European nuclear industry players (EDF, ORANO, Engie,
- Translation project manager for detailed design phase of European Pressurized Water Reactor (EPR) project,
based at AREVA/Framatome, Paris-La Défense (2000-2001).
- On-site translation, interpreting and language support (report-writing) services for international nuclear safety reviews by IAEA/WANO
at nuclear power plants in France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Sweden, Germany, Switzerland, Spain, China and the UK.
- Training of power plant personnel in international safety review processes.
- Mentoring and training of translators and interpreters working on-site at facilities operated by AREVA, EDF and other customers.
- Translation and copywriting of technical and commercial content for leading companies in the engineering, utilities and
technology sectors (including Bouygues, Thales and Siemens).
1988 – 1991: Staff Translator, promoted to Senior Translator (Head of Section), British Nuclear Fuels plc, Warrington, Cheshire, UK
- Management of company translation and interpreting requirements in the fields of reprocessing, reactor
operation, uranium enrichment, fuel manufacture, waste management, etc.
1987 – 1988: University of Kent at Canterbury: Postgraduate Diploma in Technical Translation and Interpreting (French, German and Dutch).
1983 – 1987: University of Oxford: MA, Modern Languages (French and German)
INVOLVEMENT IN PROFESSIONAL BODIES:
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIoL). Chartered Linguist (CL) status gained in 2019.
- Qualified Member (Translator and Interpreter) of the Institute of Translation and Interpreting (ITI)
- Member of ITI Admissions Committee 2004-2006
- Member of ITI Council (governing body of ITI) 2005-2006.
- Vice-Chairman of ITI 2006
- Chair of Editorial Board of The Linguist magazine (journal of the Chartered Institute of Linguists), 2015-2018
- Member of the Council of the Chartered Institute of Linguists, 2019-2021
- Delivery of training webinars and presentations for ITI and CIOL (topics include Continuous Improvement for Translators and Interpreters, Safety for Interpreters, and Business Strategies for Freelance Linguists)
Lecturing on BSc and MA translation programmes at Aston University (2007-2010). Lectures/presentations to translation students at Leeds, Exeter and Birmingham universities.
Articles published in The Linguist, the Bulletin of the Institute of Translation and Interpreting, and the Journal of the Institute of Scientific and Technical Communicators.
TECHNICAL TRAINING RECEIVED:
- Technical induction at Sellafield plant, Cumbria, as part of BNFL management training programme.
- Technical inductions at Capenhurst uranium enrichment plant and Springfields fuel manufacturing plant.
- Safety and radiation protection training (level PR1) to obtain qualified radiation worker status for EDF plants in France (latest refresher training received in February 2020).
- Contractor radiation protection, nuclear safety and industrial safety training at nuclear plants in various countries (training refreshed regularly since 1996).